Venerable
Venerable Pelagia of Tinos
1752 — 1834
Also known as: Лукия (мирское имя)
Venerable Pelagia of Tinos — an 18th–19th century Greek nun whose visions of the Theotokos in 1822–1823 led to the discovery of the miracle-working Annunciation icon on Tinos, now Greece's foremost pilgrimage site; glorified by the Patriarchate of Constantinople in 1970.
CATEGORY REFINEMENT: the previous category "righteous" is refined to "venerable" — the primary sources (pravoslavie.ru) title her precisely "venerable," as a nun. HONEST CAVEAT: the commemoration of Pelagia of Tinos is NOT included in the calendar of the Russian Orthodox Church — she is a locally venerated Greek saint, glorified by the Patriarchate of Constantinople.
Venerable Pelagia of Tinos (secular name Loukia, 1752–1834) was born on the island of Tinos, daughter of priest Nikiforos Negreponte. At 15 she took monastic vows at Kechrovouni Convent under her aunt (also named Pelagia), receiving the name Pelagia.
In 1822–23, around age 70, the Theotokos appeared to her three times, instructing her to have a buried miraculous icon located on a plot owned by Antonia Doxaras and a great church built there. After initial hesitation she informed her abbess and then Metropolitan Gabriel of Tinos.
On January 30, 1823, excavation workers struck an icon, breaking it in two; joined together, it revealed the Annunciation of the Theotokos. The discovery, occurring during the Greek War of Independence, became a symbol of spiritual hope and led to the construction of the renowned Church of Panagia Evangelistria, making Tinos Greece's foremost pilgrimage site. Pelagia reposed peacefully on April 28, 1834. She was glorified by Patriarchal Synodal Act of the Ecumenical Patriarchate on September 11, 1970. Feast: July 23/August 5, commemorating her vision.